Emerging from the Moving Abyss
Hi, everybody! Well, I’m back at last, and that’s all I’m going to say, unless someone out there really wants to know all the ugly details of what’s been going on through the move over the last 3+ weeks. Still unpacking; Christmas isn’t up yet; but I’m back. And returning feels terrific! Thanks to all of you who kept checking in. I hope your holiday season has been, and continues to be, joyful, safe, and blessed.
1st Free Serialized Section of The Truth About Cinnamon Now Available
As mentioned in an earlier post, a major element of this Journey from Publishing Obscurity to Somewhere Else is to release a newly edited, shorter version of my first novel, The Truth About Cinnamon, approximately one month ahead of my second novel, Separation of Faith (targeted for release now by end of 2nd quarter 2010). Once the new version of Cinnamon enters the production phase (sometime in late January, I’m guessing), we will no longer be able to sell the original version. So, at that point, anyone who has a copy of the original will be in possession of a 1st Edition, which could be significant, if the journey/experiment being chronicled through this blog works.
In preparation for the disappearance of the original Cinnamon, I’m going to release the first seven chapters of that version–one chapter per week–for free.
For those who would subsequently like to purchase a copy of the original, the most interesting way to do that (in my unbiased opinion, of course) is through the book store on my main website (www.eWritersRUs.com). Not only is the book for sale there at huge discounts, but you can customize the wording for your autograph at checkout. The book will then come directly to you from me .
If you’d like to get a feel for The Truth ABout Cinnamon:
- The first free serialized issue is now available for downloading at http://www.filedby.com/author/cheri_laser/2721580/documents/24081497/.
- That link will take you to the appropriate section of my site at www.FiledBy.com (an incredible new organization that I’ve mentioned before, which assists authors with the promotion of any book that has an ISBN number).
- If you elect to download Cinnamon, you will be redirected to www.Scribd.com, another amazing website that was highlighted at the transformational conference for me in New York in September (see launch post on November 4). You’ll be asked to quickly register (just your email address and a password), and then you can proceed with the download.
- Scribd.com is a site where anyone can publish e-versions of anything, for free. So, after you download the first issue of Cinnamon :-), I highly recommend that you explore the resources available on Scribd for all of us.
Update: Separation of Faith
Due to the unanticipated down time from my move, I’m a little behind on this piece of the plan. There are a few sections of the book that need a little reworking following the input from my beta readers. At first I thought I’d need to re-edit the entire manuscript. But after revisiting the beta readers’ remarks and speaking in depth with some of them, I’m only going to focus on the chapters/scenes where the betas had issues/concerns. Then I’ll do a complete read-through once those changes have been made.
Consequently, I think I can finish the edit before New Year’s, which means the publisher should have the manuscript by January 4, the first working day of 2010. Hopefully, that will still position me for a release date prior to the end of 2nd quarter.
The Re-Edit of Cinnamon
Several weeks will be required for the publisher’s initial edit cycle of Separation of Faith. That’s the time I will use to re-edit Cinnamon–the goal being to shave off as many pages as possible, without my Cinnamon fans being able to tell that anything is missing.
I’d like to cut 100 pages, since publishing professionals (99.9% of the time) won’t even open a novel by an unknown author, if the book/manuscript looks like Gone with the Wind. Cinnamon isn’t that long, but I need to get the page count down into at least the mid 400’s (from the current 531).
Most of my readers bristle at that thought, but I’m trying to assure them that everything they love about the book will still be there. Hopefully, my five years of editing experience will enable me to be right. You will, of course, be updated on my progress through this blog and commentary.
- This blog: 677 hits. (Last posting: 568. So there’s at least been a little traffic, even though I’ve been awol.
- My website (www.eWritersRUs.com): 34,820. (Last posting: 34,355)
- Amazon Ranking for Cinnamon: 1,608,293. (Last posting: 2,785,171–so something good is happening with this one.
My intent is to publish one more post before Christmas. But I want to take a moment here, just in case, to wish all of you the very happiest and the most fulfilling holiday season ever.
A new year is just around the corner, which gives all of us dreamers a fresh set of twelve months to transform our goals into reality. I’m looking forward to traveling through those months together with you, all of us sharing and learning as we go.
Here’s to the journey!