Getting Back on Track
The forty-eight changes submitted when we pulled the title back two weeks ago have now been reviewed and approved. I sent my “okay to go” email about thirty minutes ago. We still have to tweak the cover design slightly so the dust jacket will fit properly on the hard cover. But otherwise the final production steps should be moving forward very shortly.
As I was reviewing the interior changes, the thought occurred to me that you might find the specifics of that process interesting (for future reference, if nothing else). And given the emphasis in this blog on the importance of editing, I also thought you might like to see the painstaking detail involved with this last round of changes.
As I mentioned during that panicked weekend at the beginning of August (#57–Blip in Production), a couple of the issues I discovered were really serious, for example using one character’s name when another character was actually intended (called a content error and viewed as a major editorial slipup). A lot of the forty-eight changes submitted might be considered “nits” and yet, if uncorrected, would have affected the total editorial quality of the book. Some were word changes because there was a repetition issue where the same word was used in close proximity. (This type of issue is really hard to spot when reading your own work.) Other changes were things I learned as a result of the copyedit. One example is in dialogue where a character is interrupting someone who’s speaking. I had been ending the interrupted line of dialoge with ellipses, but the correct form is to end the line with an em dash.
Even though the changes might not make a lot of sense out of context, I thought you might be interested in seeing the actual proof form that I had to complete and submit. Someone in the production department at iUniverse then made the changes and returned a corrected pdf of the fully formatted book to me. Referencing my proof form, I then double checked to make sure the changes had been correctly implemented. (We’ve been through this process four times since I first submitted my manuscript last fall.)
In keeping with the mission of this blog to track every step of my publishing Journey, I’m attaching the latest proof form so you can see all the detail I’m referencing. Keep in mind that the issues listed on the form were still in the book following two editorial evaluations, a copyedit, six full-manuscript revision cycles, a proofreading, and one last revision cycle. For that very reason, traditional publishing houses typically assign five different people to edit and proofread galleys because you can’t have too many eyes examining a manuscript. And when we’re pursuing an alternate path on our publishing Journeys, we have to be extra diligent with respect to the editorial quality of what we’re putting “out there.”
I’m sure there are still going to be a few things that have slipped through in Separation of Faith, even after all the diligence (because I don’t think I’ve ever read even a traditionally published book that didn’t contain something that had been missed/overlooked). But I can honestly say that we’ve been as thorough as humanly possible with this particular novel.
Thanks so much again for your interest in what’s going on here. I’ll be back as soon as there are any new updates/developments.
RE-DO INTERIOR CHANGES.Proof Form (Click to see proof form.)